The Trail Network Project
The identification and infrastructure of the trail network is part of the initiatives used to promote the area.
The project makes the following set of strategic choices:
1. The high environmental sensitivity of the area has guided the choice to minimize the invasiveness of the physical infrastructure on the site, especially with regard to the location of the signs;
2. The action plan was designed to increase the attractiveness of the territory through the involvement of target groups;
3. The organizational and infrastructural choices respond to a larger-scale project for the development of this area;
4. The definition of the network ensures efficiency in terms of the overall scale of the SCI, ensuring impartiality regarding the administrative organization of the site;
5. The design of the network components meets the requirements of coherence and synergy of the models that are currently being developed at national and regional levels.
Given these reference principles, the specifics of the project are as follows:
- The space identified for the location of the network is constituted by the area between the towns placed around the Giara and the surface of the plateau;
- The elements of the paths are limited to the minimum number necessary to ensure the achievement of the defined goals, providing a careful selection of trails calibrated to specific user needs. In this respect, the level of the identified user was intermediate (families), which can be placed between independent users (such as hiking experts) and users who need some support (such as big groups and guided tours);
- The starting points of the trails are located in areas that are accessible by private vehicles;
The network infrastructure meets the following requirements:
1. the organization of the sign system and information maximizes the opportunity for implementing information technology in communication strategies, specifically pursuing maximum integration with the representation models accessible across the Internet and, in particular, the website of the project;
2. the starting points of the network are indicated by appropriate signs and illustrative posters that clearly represent the trail specifics in terms of track detection and localization, destinations to be reached, degree of difficulty, track conditions, ways of use, and correlation with other trails in the network.
3. besides the starting points, there are several signs located along the trails, usually on rocks or tree trunks;
The colors adopted for the signs are red and white (as established by the CAI).
An integrated network of trails allows access to the Giara and the discovery of many of the most evocative and rare landscapes that distinguish the plateau and its slopes. It consists of interconnected paths starting at specific points that have been used since antiquity to reach the top of the plateau. Hikers may well decide to follow a single path or a more extended and articulated route by combining multiple paths.
You can find different guides and tools, including the GPS tracks of the paths and the link to the app "GiaraSardegna" for smartphones Iphone and Android, which is specifically dedicated to the hiking trail network.
La Giara is a wild environment, so hiking may be difficult in certain seasons and conditions. The physical characteristics and vegetation of this environment can easily cause you to lose your orientation, increasing the possibility of getting lost when straying from the marked trails or without an experienced guide.
- In the event of poor recognition or feasibility of the path, do not keep going. Return back in the direction from which you came;
- Evaluate travel times, which are indicative and refer to average conditions, in order to guarantee the completion of the hike within the hours of full daylight.
It is prohibited to:
- go inside the paulis
- frighten or disturb either the horses or any other animals
- pick or damage flowers or plants
- light fires
- remove or damage rocks, fossils or artifacts of any kind
- ride any horses within the Giara without having the required authorizations from the town council